Date:         Tue, 27 Sep 2005 09:14:27 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Marta García-Granero
              <biostatistics@terra.es>
Subject:      Re: Help with nested design syntax MANCOVA

Hi Jordan

Although without a more complete explanation of your data design I can't be sure, I see two errors in your model:

- A nested factor can NEVER interact with the nesting factor. That makes the terms: location*severity and treat_gp*location*severity wrong. Are you sure it is nested? Explain it with more detail.

- Also, you say you have 3 factors, and I see 5 (gender, treatment, group, location and severity, the last one being nested within location). Gender cannot be a covariate, as you have wrongly indicated in your model, because it's a qualitative variable (a factor), not a quantitative one.

Perhaps someone with more expertise in MANOVA models (I use don't use it very often, nor I have read a lot about it) can help you more.

Regards, Marta mailto:biostatistics@terra.es