Date:         Sun, 4 Sep 2005 20:54:58 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Frank J. Gallo" <fjgallo@verizon.net>
Subject:      Re: Combining Variable Scores
Comments: To: Hector Maletta <hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar>

Hi Hector,

Thanks for the input. The five samples are in the same spss file. I differentiate them by a variable "classid" which has values 1-5. How would the syntax change for both combining variables within a sample and combining variables of all samples?

Thanks, Frank

-----Original Message----- From: Hector Maletta [mailto:hmaletta@fibertel.com.ar] Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2005 2:37 PM To: 'Frank J. Gallo'; SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: Combining Variable Scores

So you do not want to combine VARIABLES, you want to combine SAMPLES, conditional on not being significantly different from each other. And they should be not significantly different on 37 different variables. So I totally misunderstood your question. Now:

Adding together your various samples is done by means of the ADD FILES command, assuming these samples are in different SPSS files all with the same structure. The syntax is easy:

ADD FILES /FILE 'firstfilenameandpath'/FILE 'secondfilenameandpath'/..../FILE 'lastfilenameandpath'. EXECUTE. Before doing this you make sure you have a variable in all the files, identifying the sample. For instance, a variable called SAMPLE with values 1 to 5 to identify 5 different samples.

An exploratory analysis of the 37 ratings in the whole sample and in each of the 5 samples can be achieved with the EXAMINE command. You need one for the whole sample and another for the 5 samples.

EXAMINE LABEL1 TO LABEL37/PERCENTILES 25 50 75. EXAMINE LABEL1 TO LABEL37 BY SAMPLE/PERCENTILES 25 50 75.

Your ratings are not really interval level variables, so comparing means is not totally kosher, but it is usual enough for you to risk it without many qualms. You may compare pairs of samples, or one sample with the total, through TTEST. To compare each sample mean with the total, and assuming you already know the value for the total, you may use TTEST for all samples with SPLIT FILE. Suppose the overall mean rating for one question like LABEL1 is 2.35.

SPLIT FILE BY sample. T-TEST /TESTVAL=2.35 /variable label1. This would compare all sample means of LABEL1 to the given overall mean of 2.35. In one command you may include more than one variable, provided they are to be compared to the same overall mean. Use another T-TEST command for other variables if the overall mean is different.

Hector