Date:         Wed, 28 Sep 2005 10:04:04 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Art Kendall <Art@DrKendall.org>
Subject:      Re: averaged scales vs factor scores
Comments: To: Plance Debouver <plancede@yahoo.com>

If you are creating scales, e.g., attitudes, achievement, values, using unit weights and including only those items that load above some cut-off (often +- .4) without splitting is conventional for several reasons. These include the points that there is no intrinsic meaning to a zero point, i.e., the numeric scaling is arbitrary; that the substantive interpretation is easier; that divergent validity is enhanced; etc. (Don't forget to reflect items that have negative loading before doing your RELIABILITY.)

If you do not have scale items, there is no general convention. However, standardizing the variables, and then proceeding as if you were creating a scale has many of the same virtues as in scale construction.

As an exercise, save the factor scores from the various methods in SPSS. Then create the scores using the summation method. How well do the scores correlate?

Art Art@DrKendall.org Social Research Consultants University Park, MD USA Inside the Washington, DC beltway. (301) 864-5570