Date:         Mon, 5 Sep 2005 07:43:09 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Art Kendall <Art@DrKendall.org>
Subject:      Re: reliability analysis
Comments: To: rahel kale <rahel_kale@yahoo.com>

Below are some vocabulary changes that should help you to use the documentation. (Your post with changes in CAPS.) first recode the items that need to be reflected to have the high end of the rating scale represent "more" of the underlying construct.

Then use something like the following untested syntax substituting the names of your variables. RELIABILITY VARIABLES = VIS1 TO X7 /SCALE (VISION) = VIS1 TO VIS5 /SCALE (POLICY) = POL1 TO POL6 /SCALE (TECHNOLOGY) = TECH1 TO TECH7 . . . /SCALE (X) = X1 TO X6 /MODEL = ALPHA /STATISTICS = ALL /SUMMARY = ALL /METHOD = COVARIANCE .

COMPUTE VISION = SUM (VIS1 TO VIS5). COMPUTE POLICY = SUM (POL1 TO POL6) . . . COMPUTE X = X1 TO X6. VAR LABLES VISION 'Vision and values' POLICY 'policy formulation' TECHNOLGY 'mindset towards technology ' . . . Art Art@DrKendall.org Social Research Consultants University Park, MD USA (301) 864-5570