Date:         Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:19:51 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Oliver, Richard" <roliver@SPSS.COM>
Subject:      Re: [BULK] File handle and File Type Mixed
Comments: To: Stephen Johnson <SJohnson@aon.fsbpt.org>

A macro name in a quoted string will not be expanded. You want to concatenate the macro value with the filename string, as in:

NAME=!pathd + '\filename.txt'

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Stephen Johnson Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 12:53 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: [BULK] File handle and File Type Mixed Importance: Low

I am attempting to set up some database preparation macros and production syntax and trying to debug my initial few lines of code. Not sure where I have gone wrong.

The first two lines of code are in a "master" syntax file that I am using to define path names and files.

DEFINE !pathd ( ) 'M:\Directory1\Directory2' !ENDDEFINE.

FILE HANDLE Prepare

/NAME= '!pathd \filename.txt'

/LRECL=20000.

It then progresses to a second syntax file that begins with (the data set contains information that I need to split into three separate files based on client responses to column 37):

FILE TYPE MIXED FILE = Prepare

/ RECORD = #test 37 (F)

/ WILD = WARN.

I keep being told that it can not find the file Prepare.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen Johnson