Date:         Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:33:28 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Marta García-Granero
              <biostatistics@terra.es>
Subject:      Re: proportions and ANOVA

Hi Bozena,

ZB> Hello, I would like to test a yes/no question in an ANOVA design (2 btw ZB> subject IVs and one within subject IV). Can ANOVA handle proportions ZB> even those the assumptions are likely to not hold?

Your dependent variable: is it the binary no/yes answer for each subject or the proportion of people answering yes?

If it's the proportion (a given data cell is formed by the proportion of people), you can try to normalise the distribution (binomial) using and arcsin transform, although the interpretation of the results is more complicated (in term of effect sizes) and back-transforming the summary statistics (means and SD or SE) is not possible.

If the DV is the binary answer, then you'll have to rely on ANOVA robustness (you don't mention the sample size, an important issue here, because parametric methods tend to be asymptotically robust).

If you only had a WS IV, you could have used Cochran test, instead.

Regards,

Marta mailto:biostatistics@terra.es