Date:         Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:25:24 +0200
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Spousta Jan <JSpousta@CSAS.CZ>
Subject:      Re: Converting SPSS value labels to SAS format
Comments: To: Patricia.Cleland@edu.gov.on.ca

Hi Pat,

You can edit the .sas file and I do not see why you should have the SAS formats with only 8 characters... In any case, this seems to be a SAS problem, not an SPSS one. If the exported SAS dataset is valid, you can do with it all what SAS allows.

If needed, try to search/address http://listserv.uga.edu/archives/sas-l.html - our sister list for SAS.

Greetings

Jan

-----Original Message----- From: Patricia.Cleland@edu.gov.on.ca [mailto:Patricia.Cleland@edu.gov.on.ca] Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:17 PM To: Spousta Jan Subject: RE: Converting SPSS value labels to SAS format

Thanks. My colleague was able to import the data into SAS. The var labels were fine. The only problem that we had was that value labels were truncated to 8 characters wide. Is there a way around that or do I need to be more economical with the value labels?

Pat

-----Original Message----- From: Spousta Jan [mailto:JSpousta@CSAS.CZ] Sent: August 31, 2005 3:31 AM To: Patricia.Cleland@edu.gov.on.ca; SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: Converting SPSS value labels to SAS format

Hi Pat,

I think that the problem is that you omitted the second part ot the export, that is the *.sas file with the definitions of formats. E.g.

GET FILE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\Cars.sav'. SAVE TRANSLATE OUTFILE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\cars.sas7bdat' /TYPE=SAS /VERSION=7 /PLATFORM=WINDOWS /MAP /REPLACE /VALFILE='C:\Program Files\SPSS\cars.sas' .

And you should send both cars.sas7bdat and cars.sas to your colleagues.

The second problem is that my SAS sometimes does not accept SPSS exported files in PROCs - so I use them first in an empty DATA step:

data myfile; set myfile; run;

...and then is the SAS file OK for all purposes.

HTH

Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2005 5:53 PM To: Spousta Jan; SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: Converting SPSS value labels to SAS format

I too am having problems exporting from SPSS13 to SAS.

I followed Jan's instructions below and generated a .sas7bdat file. Here's the edited pasted syntax:

SAVE TRANSLATE OUTFILE='path and filename.sas7bdat' /TYPE=SAS /VERSION=7 /PLATFORM=WINDOWS /MAP /REPLACE .

When I gave the file to my colleague with SAS he was able to read it into SAS OK, but when he tried to run Proc Freq he got the following error message:

24 proc freq data=filename;run;

ERROR: Format Grade_Ta not found or couldn't be loaded for variable Grade_Taught. ERROR: Format Classes_ not found or couldn't be loaded for variable Classes_Grade. ERROR: Format Years_TA not found or couldn't be loaded for variable Years_Taught. . . . NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

He's running SAS9.

He can read in a .por file but the long variable names are truncated and the value labels disappear.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pat

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Spousta Jan Sent: August 29, 2005 11:17 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Converting SPSS value labels to SAS format

Hi Parveen,

* File -> Save As... * select the sas7bdat type of file, write a name of saved file * check the box "save value labels into a sas file" - it will create the file with labels for you

Greetings

Jan

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Parveen Sharma Sent: Monday, August 29, 2005 4:47 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Converting SPSS value labels to SAS format

Dear list, I am trying to convert SPSS dataset to SAS format. The only problem I am having is to convert value labels from SPSS to SAS format. Do we have any utilities or easy methods to convert SPSS value labels to SAS format? The only way for me is to manually code value labels in SAS format. Regards, Parveen