Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Sep 2005 07:52:39 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Arthur Westover <anwestover@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      suggestions for computer spec

I need to buy a computer to run SAS on. Would like suggestions as to specifications. I have a budget of probably 5k to 6k. Regular desktop computer.

I am an academic researcher, probably the biggest databases I would be looking at are the in 10 million observation range...

Dual processors? SCSI? How much RAM? RAID? Cooling issues? Backup?

I have some experience building my own, but I am guessing that I will have to go through a vendor that is associated with the university. So please keep that in mind.

I'm going to be pulling the trigger on this ASAP. Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Arthur