Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 2005, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:21:31 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Arthur Tabachneck <art297@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: help on translating Talbot Michael Katz's "discontinue a test
              code"
Comments: To: Dew Meng <meng4sas@GMAIL.COM>

Mimi,

Assuming there were some variable name changes and extra asterisks in your code, and that the following more closely approximates what your code looks like, the explanation is straight forward:

data tdm1; input teid age @7 (bds01-bds20)(1.); cards; 110 6 00011100011000010110 111 7 00100011000000000000 ; run;

data tdm2 ; set tdm1; array bds(*) bds: ; drop i triple ; triple = 0; do i = lbound(bds) to hbound(bds) ; if triple < 3 then triple =(triple + 1) * (bds{i} = 0) ; else bds{i} = 0 ; end ; run;

Triple serves as a counter of the number of consecutive 0s. It starts out as zero and, after it finds three consecutive 0s it sets all remaining bds values to 0.

The counter works by incrementing by 1 (i.e., triple=triple+1) if the current value is not zero, since it multiplies triple times the logical result (i.e., 0 if false, 1 if true) of whether the current value is equal to zero. So, if it finds a second consecutive zero, it makes triple equal to triple + 1 (or, in this case, 1+1=2) times 1 (since the current value is zero). If the current value was not equal to zero, then triple would be reset to zero.