Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Oct 2005 14:40:42 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Walt Chambers <Walter.Frank.Chambers@STUDENT.MERCER.EDU>
Subject:      Boat Ramp Rd, Oxbow Meadows 10/2

I got to visit the boat ramp for the first time since mid-August this morning. Though it's decent for warblers, this area is really good for empids as well as Philadelphia Vireo from mid-Sept to early Oct - today was no exception. Alot of the warblers and thrushes early on were hard to ID due to overcast skies. Here's the list of neotropical highlights I had from 7:30-10:00

Warblers:

Blue-winged - 2 Tennessee - 15 Northern Parula - 2 Chestnut-sided - 5 Magnolia - 5 Pine - 2 Black-&-White - 1 American Redstart - 4 Worm-eating - 2 Common Yellowthroat - 1 Hooded - 2

thrushes:

Veery - 2 Gray-cheeked - 2 Swainson's - 3 Wood - 6 thrush sp. - 10

flycatchers:

Eastern Wood-Pewee - 7 Acadian Flycatcher - at least 2 ID'd Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - 1 empid sp. - 6+ (there were a few Traill's-ish types but I let 'em go. None of them made a distinguishing call and I couldn't photo them. Maybe I'll try when I have more time to devote!)

other neotrops:

Chimney Swift - 30 White-eyed Vireo - 5 Red-eyed Vireo - 10 Philadelphia Vireo - at least 3! Summer Tanager - 3 Scarlet Tanager - 4 Indigo Bunting - 4

I tried hitting the hotspots of Oxbow Meadows afterwards. The dredge pond north of the learning center had:

Mallard - 7 Blue-winged Teal - 5 Wilson's Snipe - 2 Least Sandpiper - 20 Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2 Western Sandpiper - 1

At the borrow pit ponds near the south application field were:

Wood Duck - 5 Mallard - 6 Blue-winged Teal - 65+ Peregrine Falcon - 1 (3rd OM record)

The only note from the north field were 5 fots Palm Warblers

Walt Chambers Columbus/Doraville