Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Oct 2005 09:43:02 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Traynor, Christopher" <traynorc@STARR.ORG>
Subject:      SPSS Maps help

Hi,

I'm trying out the trial version of Maps 14.0 to see if it'll do what I want it to. So far, I have had no success. This is what I'm trying to accomplish: I need to use the range of values function within Maps to map the frequency of an occurrence within counties in the US (mainly in the Midwest). SPSS does not seem to recognize the county data (or zip codes for that matter) and results in mismatches. Here is a sample of my data:

Data List Free / ResCounty Referrals.

Begin Data

101 10

103 15

109 8

110 5

111 52

112 9

114 2

280 10

281 25

300 3

301 80

End Data.

value labels ResCounty 101 'MI, ALCONA' 103 'MI, ALLEGAN' 109 'MI, BAY' 110 'MI, BENZIE'

111 'MI, BERRIEN' 112 'MI, BRANCH' 114 'MI, CASS' 280 'IN, TIPTON' 281 'IN, UNION'

300 'OH, BOONE' 301 'OH, ADAMS'.

The desired result would me a map of the Midwest region with counties shaded different colors corresponding to ranges of referrals (0-5, 6-10, 11-20, etc.). Can SPSS Maps accomplish this? Thanks.

Chris