Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 24 Oct 2005 21:56:52 -0400
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Tony Yang <tonyyangsxz@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:   Re: Counting entries across variables
Comments:   To: SAS_L@listserv.edu.au

You can try this code array a{20} d1-d20; count=0; do i=1 to 20; if a{i}=. then do; count=count+1; end; end; then you can use proc freq to tabulate variable count, the value in count indicates how many variables in d1-d20 have missing entry. Hope this helps. Best regards, Tony

On 10/24/05, Laughing Beggar <laughing_beggar@hotmail.com> wrote: > > Hi all, > I have 20 character variables (d1-d20), that fill up from the left (ie > there > wont be an entry in d2 if there isnt one in d1 etc). I need to count how > many records have an entry (of any non-missing sort) in d1 only, then how > many records have an entry in d1 and d2 only, then in d1-d3 only, then in > d1-d4 only etc. So for each record I need to know how many of the d1-d20 > are > filled (call it x)and then I need a frequency distibution of x ("200 > records > have one (and only one) of d1-d20 filled, 150 have 2 (and only 2) filled, > 56 > have 3 (and only 3) filled etc). All tips on how I might do this will be > greatly appreciated. > Cheers > L_B > > "The beggar laughs in the face of the thief" >

-- Best regards, Tony