Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2005, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:37:46 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Chang Chung <chang_y_chung@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: HELP WITH MACRO
Comments: To: "Kevin F. Spratt" <Kevin.F.Spratt@DARTMOUTH.EDU>

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:26:04 -0400, Kevin F. Spratt <Kevin.F.Spratt@DARTMOUTH.EDU> wrote:

>Please provide some basic insight regarding this pitiful >attempt to write a macro that will generate a number of random >samples and then concatenate them into a single data set with an added variable >that indicated the set number. ... >%MACRO IMPUTESETS(DATAIN= DATAOUT= START= TOTAL= SIZE= ...

Hi, Kevin,

Once I have a hammer in my hands, everything looks like a nail head -- somehow problems look like chances to use the hash object in one way or another. Since you are using a simple random sampling without replacement, the hash is an easy way to implement it in a data step (as I do in the selectSample: below). Or I feel that way, at least today. :-)

This way, you don't have to use a macro at all. Also, assuming the main dataset is not so large, the combination of sasfile and set with point should make this *very* quick to run.

I am sure David, Dale or others will find errors or problems in this code, if any. :-) HTH.

Cheers, Chang

/* load the main data file into memory for speed */ sasfile sashelp.shoes load;

/* output 1000 repetitions of a random sample of size 50 */ %let SEED = 1234567; data one; /* "globals" */ nRep = 1000; nSize = 50; retain OK 0; retain obs selected .; dcl hash h; dcl hIter hi;

/* main loop */ do rID = 1 to nRep; link resetHash; link selectSample; link doOutput; end; stop;

/* subroutines */ resetHash:; /* if not missing(h) then h.delete(); */ h = _new_ hash(ordered:'a'); h.defineKey('obs'); h.defineData('obs','selected'); h.defineDone(); return;

selectSample:; do until(h.num_items=nSize); obs = ceil(nObs*(ranuni(&seed.))); selected = 1; if h.add()^=OK then _error_ = 0; end; return;

doOutput:; hi = _new_ hIter('h'); if hi.first()=OK then do until(hi.next()^=OK); set sashelp.shoes nObs=nObs point=obs; /* here you do creating and renaming vars */ oldObs = obs; /* otherwise obs will be */ /* dropped automatically */ keep rID oldObs region -- returns; output; end; return; run; /* on log NOTE: The data set WORK.ONE has 50000 observations and 9 variables. NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time): real time 1.23 seconds user cpu time 0.95 seconds system cpu time 0.18 seconds Memory 24183k */

/* eyeball checks */ /* check1: all the oldObs should appear about the same time */ proc freq data=one; tables oldObs/list missing; where oldObs <= 20; run;

/* check2: the mean of any summary stat should be (roughly) normally distributed */ proc summary data=one noprint; class rID; var returns; ways 1; output out=summOne mean=avgReturns; run; proc univariate data=summOne; var avgReturns; qqplot / normal; run;

/* unload the dataset and free the sasfile buffers */ sasfile sashelp.shoes close;