Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:19:53 -0500
Sender:   Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   James R Brooks Jr <jrbamc@JUNO.COM>
Subject:   11/28/2005: @Home (Henry) and @EL Huie (Clayton)

In our neighborhood lakes there are 4 Pied-billed Grebes spending the winter. They usually hang out as a loose group. Have had a few small flocks of Cedar Waxwings flying around. The Great Egret that was gorging on young fish has apparently left for warmer climes. This morning there was one Double-crested Cormorant that circled up a few times and headed south, and was then immediately followed by ten more in a tight 'v' formation.

At Huie today around the noon hour during a break in the rain saw the usual masses of winter ducks. A couple hundred Hooded Mergansers in the nw pond, they were clustered tightly to the roiling water at the bottom of the concrete spillway. Found and was able to get good long views of a feeding Wilson's Snipe in the muddy se corner of the mid-west pond. Saw high densities of American Pipits all around the south pond, especially in the dry bottom of the eastern end near the 'islands'. Driving around to the north side of the south pond, spotted an accipter in the willows of the 'big island'. I looked at it and it looked at me then turned and flew through the willows and then dove into the open area beyond. A small flock of small sandpipers sped away to the west and a veritable cloud of Pipits flew up and away to the north for approx 30 seconds or so. Could not relocate the hawk, either a male Cooper's or a female Sharp-shinned, hard to tell in the mist and drizzle. The sun came out for a minute or two then the rain returned in strength so I headed for cover and home.

Hello the white car and the green car... I was in the red car.

The ponds were very low today all around, the south pond was real 'dry' except for the 'river' running from the south bank spillway diagonally over to the ne corner.

James Brooks McGarity Rd @ Bethany Rd, east of McDonough (Henry Cty) GA