Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main SHOREBIRDS pageJoin or leave SHOREBIRDS (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:53:06 -0800
Sender:       Shorebird Discussion Group <SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jack Daynes <jc_daynes@SPAMCOP.NET>
Subject:      Re: You are cordially invited ...
Comments: To: "Norman D.van Swelm" <Norman.vanswelm@wxs.nl>

Norman D.van Swelm wrote:

> Congratulations Jack! BTW I stumbled upon your pictures of a juvenile > Semipalmated Plover. Could it not be a Ringed Plover Charadrius > hiaticula rather than a Semipalmated? > All the best, Norman >

Thanks Norman,

The Semipalmated is common here. The Ringed is not. I did a quick search on Common Ringed Plover and found:

================================= Habitat: Found in tundra habitats, sandy areas, cultivated fields, or areas with short grass near water; also frequents mudflats, beaches, and shorelines of lakes, ponds, and rivers (A.O.U. 1998).

Field Marks: Compare closely with Semipalmated Plover; breast band is often broader in the center of the chest than on Semipalmated Plover, and white eyebrow tends to be more conspicuous. However, whenever possible, it may be best to use voice to separate these two species.

Nest Habits: Nests on the ground; nest is a simple scrape or depression which is sometimes lined with bits of shells, small stones, or other materials.

Eggs: 3-4, usually 4; buffy in color, with black or brown markings.

Incubation: Both sexes incubate the eggs and care for the young. Incubation lasts approximately 23 days; young are capable of flight when they are about 24 days old.

Note that my bird has a thinning on the band about the middle. I could be mistaken, but I think its the Semipalm. Its a nice thought though, as a CRP would be special here abouts.

-- -- Jack -- ================================== <http://shadetree-imaging.com/> Wildlife Photography with Emphasis on Birds ================================== Poway, California (San Diego Co.) N 32 57' W 117 04' At 508' Elevation ==================================