Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 2 Nov 2005 15:02:32 -0500
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: brain teaser
Comments:   To: Jean Campbell <campbel@u.arizona.edu>

At 12:33 PM 11/2/2005, Jean Campbell wrote:

>I'm not sure if this is an SPSS question..but I've lost patience.

It's certainly a data-transformation problem that can be solved in SPSS, of a type that very commonly is.

It shouldn't be hard, either; a modest exercise in AGGREGATE. But,

>I am trying to determine the % of subjects who experience an adverse >event (symptom) by their treatment group (1,2, or 3).

Here's the problem

>Each subject could have reported multiple adverse events, so the data >looks >like this: > >Subj ID AE Txt group >1 2 1 [...]

It looks like you have a record for each AE experienced by each subject; and you have the treatment group for each subject. But what record do you have of subjects who have no adverse events? Without that, I don't see how you can calculate thing like "% of subjects who experience an adverse event", except by counting the number of subjects with an AE and dividing by hand.