Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:25:49 -0500
Sender:   "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Raynald Levesque <rlevesque@videotron.ca>
Subject:   Re: getting date out of a numerical variable

Hi

This is a FAQ.

See http://www.spsstools.net/LearningSyntax.htm#DateTutorial

Regards

Raynald Levesque Raynald@spsstools.net Visit my SPSS site: http://www.spsstools.net

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Shirli Werner Sent: November 24, 2005 10:51 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: getting date out of a numerical variable

Hello to all the experts, I have a string variable of date of assessment that is in the form of yymmdd. For example, 961125 or 981215. I have 3 other variables that designate, year of birth (2 digits), month of birth (2 digits) and day of birth (2 digits). I want to be able to calculate the age at assessment for each of my subjects, I would guess by some sort of a subtruction formula. However, I can't seem to be able to change my 3 variables to the format of the date of assessment variable of vicea versa. Is there someway to do this? Or maybe a way to cut down the 6 digit numberic variable into 3 variables each with 2 digits and that way I could somehow compose of them a new variable in a correct fashion? Any help on this would be much appreciated. Shirli