Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Nov 2005 08:50:38 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alan Churchill <SASL001@SAVIAN.NET>
Subject:      Re: Import/export PC files and SAS/ACCESS interface
Comments: To: Libertyblle <Marlene.Scott@MEDSTAR.NET>

1. In order to import/export MS Excel/Access files using SAS, how critical is it to have the SAS/ACCESS interface installed?

If you have SAS datasets, you can read them into Excel and Access using OleDB without even having SAS on the desktop. You can export your data using XML and can probably do it as well using OleDB but I haven't tested that method. ACCESS interface from SAS is easy but not required. This is not program submission but merely reading SAS datasets.

2. Does another alternative to the SAS/Access interface (in the form of code -- DDE comes to mind) exist?

Yes, ODBC, OleDB, and XML come to mind and there are probably others (stdin/out, PDF, etc.).

If speed is an issue, the absolute fastest way I have found generates a fully formatted spreadsheet with ~2500 cells in about 5ms on my laptop. Without significant formatting it drops to sub-millisecond. That's using OleDB to read SAS, Aspose Excel toolkit, and some tricks.

I hope this helps.

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Libertyblle Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005 8:14 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Import/export PC files and SAS/ACCESS interface

Hello SAS gurus!!!!

Although I lurk here often, this is my first time posting to this group. I have a few *general* questions.

1. In order to import/export MS Excel/Access files using SAS, how critical is it to have the SAS/ACCESS interface installed?

2. Does another alternative to the SAS/Access interface (in the form of code -- DDE comes to mind) exist?

3. Just finished reading the new LIBNAME feature added in V9 -- my limited understanding is that you can directly access MS Excel/Access tables, and can even manipulate tables from SAS, but it does not necessarily allow for direct import into SAS. Has anyone used this feature? If so, could you give me an account of what your experience with this feature has been?

I work with a group of statisticians who perform the bulk of their work in SAS. As for me, I work with RDBMs and some Excel spreadsheets. Every time I attempt to import an Excel spreadsheet into SAS, I get an error note in the log saying the SAS/Access interface has not been installed. Spoke with my supervisor about this, and he says there was discussion of doing away with this module for cost-containment purposes. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks!