Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Thu, 3 Nov 2005 13:44:59 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   Charles Harbour <charles.harbour@PEARSON.COM>
Subject:   Re: z/OS memory questions
Comments:   To: Alistair.Gordon@NEWTYNE.COM

Yes, task memory is what was actually used, total memory is what your allocation is. In looking back at your original posting, you would use the total memory allocations to tune your memleave option, to possibly take advantage of unused program memory, and allow it to be used for data. But your test was so small, it never approached the allocation limits. And that part really is critical--until you start seeing swaps out to disk, you really can't measure what the memory tuning accomplishes.

And, as I posted earlier, it really depends on the data and the program itself. If you are <really> serious about tuning (assuming an extremely large dataset and stable program), you could look at using a pre-compiled program.

In discussions with the folks at SAS, Inc., there are some modules that are not optional--it's going to load ODS, even if you never call ODS. So, from an 'extreme programming' sense, you are limited to how the language operates. But you have plenty of tuning knobs at your disposal with the bufsize/bufno and memsize/memleave options. And don't forget to crank your region up to the system max.

CH