Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:13:25 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Michael S. Zdeb" <msz03@HEALTH.STATE.NY.US>
Subject:      Re: Modified List Input
Comments: To: Cameron Hooper <chooper@UMICH.EDU>

Hi....that won't fail since after you read VAR1, the 'pointer' is in the space just after the value 'xxx' or 'yyy'. You only have 1 space between the value of VAR1 and the value of DATE. So, you luck out and the data step works --- read 10 columns. Put at least TWO spaces between the value of VAR1 and DATE and it won't work --- but modified LIST input will work.

Mike Zdeb U@Albany School of Public Health 1 University Drive Rensselaer, NY 12144-3456 (P)518-402-6479 (F)630-604-1475

Cameron Hooper <chooper@UMICH.ED U> To Sent by: "SAS(r) SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Discussion" cc <SAS-L@LISTSERV.U GA.EDU> Subject Modified List Input

11/02/2005 11:49 AM

Please respond to Cameron Hooper <chooper@UMICH.ED U>

It is my understanding that the colon modifier is necessary to enable non-standard data to be read using list input. For example, consider the following raw data file:

---test.dat--- xxx 12/31/2000 yyy 01/10/2001 --------------

I expected the following data step to generate an error as the colon is omitted from the input line. However, it works just fine.

data test; infile 'test.dat'; length var1 $8.; input var1 date mmddyy10.; format date mmddyy10.; run;

Shouldn't this fail? I thought the step should be written like this:

data test; infile '/test.dat'; length var1 $8.; input var1 date :mmddyy.; format date mmddyy10.; run;

Thanks

Cameron