Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Nov 2005 10:49:31 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Fehd, Ronald J" <rjf2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Rename Variable

> From: Richie > > I am trying to rename a variable. The code works fine

provide code: data step? proc DataSets?

> and the when I do > Proc Contents it does show me that the variable has been > renamed but in the SAS data set it still shows the old name.

that statement does not compute: either proc contents shows the new name or it does not.

make sure you are looking at the same data set: either in libref work or libref library.

> When I check column attributes the name is changed but the label is > still the old one which I guess is the reason why SAS data set has the > old variable name. How do I change that so that the data set has the > new name?

<sigh> this is the main reason I recommend using the attribute statement to define the data structure -- instead of various combinations of, occasionally missing -- length, label, format, informat

attrib VarA length = <$> 8 format = $char8. informat = <etc> label = 'VarA explanation' ;

Ron Fehd the data structure maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov