Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:14:46 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Peter Crawford <peter.crawford@BLUEYONDER.CO.UK>
Subject:      Re: Change the order of Variable's in a SAS dataset

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:48:01 -0800, Richie <gsingh24@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

>Hi All, > >I have a dataset that has variables like: >Var1 Var2 VarD Var4 Var5 VarA VarB VarC > >How can I change the order of the variables to >VarA VarB VarC Var1 Var2 Var3 Var4 Var5 > >'VarA VarB VarC' are character and 'Var1 Var2 Var3 Var4 Var5' are >numeric > >Thanks, >Richie

Unless you have a one-off interest in setting the variable order, or data that will never be replaced, the best solution is to fix the order as the data is first written.

rather than "now" revising the data structure, why not change the code that creates your dataset, so that it creates your data in the "correct" order? It just needs a statement, early in the step, defining at least the name and type/length of each of your variables, and in the order you want. like: data your.dataset ; length VarA $2 VarB $10 VarC $40 Var1 Var2 Var3 Var4 Var5 8; ..... run;

Of course, I don't know what lengths you want for your character variables, but you do, so you can put the relevant lengths into that length statement instead of $2 $10 $40.

Good Luck Peter Crawford