Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2005, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Nov 2005 11:02:06 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Sharon <vang@USC.EDU>
Subject:      Creating a new variable that combines a character and date
              variable
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Hi,

I'm working on a large data set that contains a FamilyID (which is a character variable) and a DOB (which is in mmddyy). I need to create a new character variable that combines the character variable with DOB so that I can identify each individual. For ex: FamilyID= 0007 and DOB= 11/01/49 then new_variable=0007110149. Any ideas for a SAS beginner? Thanks!