Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:27:54 -0700
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Adrian Musters <Adrian.Musters@nurs.utah.edu>
Subject:      formats for importing

Hi everyone,

I have data in a text file which has over 3000 characters per line in a fixed-width format. I need to import 3 variables in a very specific way. The ID variable is a string (this works fine) and is imported from characters 0-9. The variables I'm having trouble with are numeric variables called Var1 and Var2. In the text file Var1 is found in characters 2615-2621. If I were to import it using F7.0 I can see that they are always 4 digits or less (i.e. less than or equal to 9999). What I would like to do is import the numbers with the decimal place before the last two digits. I tried to import them using F5.2, but this truncates everything right of the decimal. For example when I import 566 with F5.2 I was hoping that it would result in 5.66, but instead I get 5.00. Does anyone know of a way to import these variables so that I would see 5.66 or 99.99 without having to import them and then divide by 100?

Here is the syntax I'm using...

GET DATA /TYPE = TXT /FILE = 'R:\prov.txt' /FIXCASE = 1 /ARRANGEMENT = FIXED /FIRSTCASE = 1 /IMPORTCASE = ALL /VARIABLES = /1 ID 0-9 A10 Var1 2615-2621 F5.2 Var2 2622-2628 F5.2. CACHE. EXECUTE.

Thanks in advance, Adrian