Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Dec 2005 16:56:09 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Peck, Jon" <peck@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: Data Entry File
Comments: To: Mahbub Khandoker <Mahbub_Khandoker@camh.net>

You might consider an alternative approach. If you have a sav file that is a model for what you want to do, you could distribute that along with an APPLY DICTIONARY command that can create all the new variables and assign whatever properties you want. In other words, Apply Dictionary can make a sav file serve as variable templates. You ultimately get the same result, but there is a lot less syntax to scare folks with, and you can be sure that the users have not messed with it.

Regards, Jon Peck

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Mahbub Khandoker Sent: Wed 12/21/2005 1:58 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: [SPSSX-L] Data Entry File I think you need to insert "Begin data End data" in two lines after the first line of the syntax. Cheers! Mahbub

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Marks, Jim Sent: December 21, 2005 2:41 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Data Entry File

Howie:

DATA LIST can be used to create a blank file. For example:

DATA LIST FREE /id (f8.0) name (a20) var1 TO var5 (5f8.2). VARIABLE LABEL id 'the id nbr' /name 'YOUR NAME'. VALUE LABEL var1 TO var5 0 'Not a data point' 1 'A data point' 99 'miss'.

A side note--When I run this, I get a blank data file, and the status message "Transformations pending". The first manual data entry produces a warning-- "Data changes not permitted while trans are pending. Run trans now?"

You can avoid the message by including

CLEAR TRANSFORMATIONS.

in the syntax.

Anyone know why DATA LIST generates this warning?

--jim

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Howie Harshaw Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2005 12:03 PM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Data Entry File

Hi Folks,

I suspect that this question has a simple answer. I am in the process of creating multiple blank data entry files (e.g. *.sav) so that people can enter some survey data. Of course, I can do this with the GUI, but I was hoping to do this with a syntax file, so that people entering the data would just have to run a syntax file to get a new data entry file.

I am comfortable using the "VARIABLE LABELS", "VALUE LABELS", FORMATS", "VARIABLE LEVEL", and "MISSING" commands, but do not know how to identify the variable name in the first place. I have played around with the "DATA LIST" command, but I suspect that it was not made for creating blank data files.

Is there a way to do this in syntax?

Thanks for any suggestions.

- Howie

Howard Harshaw Post Doctoral Fellow Forest Resource Management Faculty of Forestry University of British Columbia

Tel: (604) 786-3141 E-mail: harshaw@interchange.ubc.ca Web: www.Harfolk.ca