Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Dec 2005 12:21:15 -0600
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Swank, Paul R" <Paul.R.Swank@uth.tmc.edu>
Subject:      Re: Significance testing between R-square from linear and
              R-square              from curvilinear regression (Revised).

Steiger's multicor program will do that.

"Want to compare multiple, partial, or canonical correlations for equality? Steiger and Browne (1984) show how you can do this by reprasing the hypothesis as a pattern hypothesis testable by MULTICORR. For a recent review of some related correlational tests, see Olkin and Finn (1995). References Olkin, I., and Finn, J.D. (1995). Correlations redux. Psychological Bulletin, 118, 155-164. Steiger, J.H. (1979). Multicorr: a computer program for fast, accurate, small-sample tests of correlational pattern hypotheses. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 39, 677-680. Steiger, J.H. (1980). Tests for comparing elements of a correlation matrix. Psychological Bulletin, 87, 245-251. Steiger, J.H., & Browne, M.W. (1984). The comparison of interdependent correlations between optimal linear composites. Psychometrika, 49, 11-21. "

Paul R. Swank, Ph.D. Professor, Developmental Pediatrics Director of Research, Center for Improving the Readiness of Children for Learning and Education (C.I.R.C.L.E.) Medical School UT Health Science Center at Houston

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Sungeun Chung Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 11:18 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Significance testing between R-square from linear and R-square from curvilinear regression (Revised).

Hi, I want to clarify my question in previous question.

I have two variables, X: time (11 time points) and Y: means of evaluation (one group, N = 132).

I expect that exponential function will fit better than a linear function to predict the trajectory.

I did a curve estimation with exponential function and found R-square from the exponential function is greater than R-square from a linear function. But how can I test if the difference in R-squares is signifcant?

I found a formular in Blalock (1972). But it requires correlation between Y and transformed Y.

Should I do time series analysis?

Any help will be greately appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Sungeun

- Sungeun Chung, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor Department of Communication Memorial Hall 303G Western Illinois University Macomb, IL 61455-1390 Tel. (309) 298-2219 E-mail: S-Chung@wiu.edu; chseun21@yahoo.com