Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:42:10 -0000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ian Maddrell <Ian.Maddrell@pcwb.com>
Subject:      Re: formats for importing
Comments: To: Adrian Musters <Adrian.Musters@nurs.utah.edu>

Hello Adrian

Have you tried this?

GET DATA /TYPE = TXT /FILE = 'R:\prov.txt' /FIXCASE = 1 /ARRANGEMENT = FIXED /FIRSTCASE = 1 /IMPORTCASE = ALL /VARIABLES = /1 ID 0-9 A10 Var1 2615-2621 COMMA5.8 Var2 2622-2628 COMMA5.8. CACHE. EXECUTE.

You can adjust the numbers following the comma statement to the desired length.

Untested but certainly solves the truncation problem when dealing with monetary values over 9999.

Thanks Ian Maddrell PgDipM Campaign Planner ext. 113647

-----Original Message----- From: SPSSX(r) Discussion [mailto:SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf Of Adrian Musters Sent: 16 December 2005 16:28 To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: formats for importing

Hi everyone,

I have data in a text file which has over 3000 characters per line in a fixed-width format. I need to import 3 variables in a very specific way. The ID variable is a string (this works fine) and is imported from characters 0-9. The variables I'm having trouble with are numeric variables called Var1 and Var2. In the text file Var1 is found in characters 2615-2621. If I were to import it using F7.0 I can see that they are always 4 digits or less (i.e. less than or equal to 9999). What I would like to do is import the numbers with the decimal place before the last two digits. I tried to import them using F5.2, but this truncates everything right of the decimal. For example when I import 566 with F5.2 I was hoping that it would result in 5.66, but instead I get 5.00. Does anyone know of a way to import these variables so that I would see 5.66 or 99.99 without having to import them and then divide by 100?

Here is the syntax I'm using...

GET DATA /TYPE = TXT /FILE = 'R:\prov.txt' /FIXCASE = 1 /ARRANGEMENT = FIXED /FIRSTCASE = 1 /IMPORTCASE = ALL /VARIABLES = /1 ID 0-9 A10 Var1 2615-2621 F5.2 Var2 2622-2628 F5.2. CACHE. EXECUTE.

Thanks in advance, Adrian

______________________________________________________________ This message has been scanned for all viruses by BTnet VirusScreen. The service is delivered in partnership with MessageLabs.

This service does not scan any password protected or encrypted attachments.

If you are interested in finding out more about the service, please visit our website at http://www.btignite.com/internetservices/btnet/products_virusscreen.htm ==============================================================

This e-mail has been sent from a PC belonging to DSG Retail Limited or another company in the Dixons Group, registered office Maylands Avenue, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire HP2 7TG. Its contents are confidential to the sender and the intended recipient.

If you receive it in error, please tell us by return and then delete it from your system; you may not rely on its contents nor copy/disclose it to anyone.

Opinions, conclusions and statements of intent in this e-mail are those of the sender and will not bind a Dixons Group company unless confirmed by an authorised representative independently of this message. We do not accept responsibility for viruses; you must scan for these.

Please note that e-mails sent to and from the Dixons Group are routinely monitored for record keeping, quality control and training purposes, to ensure regulatory compliance and to prevent viruses and unauthorised use of our computer systems.