Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:10:19 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org>" <nospam@HOWLES.COM>
Subject:      Re: Length of variable

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 10:51:32 -0500, Michael S. Zdeb <msz03@HEALTH.STATE.NY.US> wrote:

>Hi...the FORMAT has nothing to do with the LENGTH. The length is set >either in a LENGTH statement of by the INFORMAT used to read the variable >value. How did you read the data to create tha data set?

I would put that differently. The format has nothing to do with the length if the length is already determined when the compiler encounters the FORMAT (or ATTRIB) statement. When I run

data test; format x $23.; x = 'a'; run;

X has a length of 23, but if I reverse the order of the FORMAT and assignment statements, it has a length of 1.