Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Dec 2005 07:34:35 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Peter Flom <flom@NDRI.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Normality Assumption for Pearson Product Moment Correlation
Comments: To: davidlcassell@MSN.COM

> David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM> >>> wrote

<<< There's no normality assumption at all in the *calculation* of the Pearson r. The assumption comes in later, when you use that r and do the hypothesis test of H0: rho = 0. If you assume bivariate normality (and independence, and equally distributed) then r is the best way to assess the strength of the relationship between the two variables. That's because the bivariate normality guarantees a linear relationship between the variables, and r is a parametric measure of rho. >>>

I never heard before that bivariate normality assures a linear relationship, and I'm having a little trouble figuring out why it should.....

any pointers to articles or whatever discussing this?

Usually, I just stress that correlation is just a measure of LINEAR relationship, and then do scatterplot to see if it looks like there is a NONlinear relationship, so this isn't really critical, but I always like to learn things like this....

TIA

Peter