Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Dec 2005 16:07:46 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Frida Aminova <faminova@PACE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Using Excel Engine Libname
Comments: To: David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>

David:

Thank you for your input on this...I will definitely try the alternatives you have recommended. Although, to satisfy my clients for now, I am using tagsets.MSOffice2K to create two separate files and attach separate files to represent two different spreadsheets, which seems to be working fine. The following is only a part of I have coded in the meantime:

----------------- Ods Listing Close ; Ods Tagsets.MSOffice2K File='C:\Projects\Issues.XLS' Style=SASWEB ; Title 'Missing Information' ; Proc Print Data=Issue_One Noobs ; Run ; Ods Tagsets.MSOffice2K Close ; ----------------

Now, I just need to have code more to create multiple-sheets within one excel file.

Again, thank you for your suggestions - you all are so very helpful. I will work on this and let you know what happens.

Frida Aminova Junior Programmer, IAO Pace University, DoIT Phone: (212) 346-1436 Email: FAminova at Pace dot Edu

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David L Cassell Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2005 2:40 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: [SAS-L] Using Excel Engine Libname

faminova@PACE.EDU replied: >John: > > Thank you very much for your response. >I tried using ct="application/octet-stream", but it did not work. I talked >to one of our system administrators; he thinks that it's the Sun Netscape >Mailserver itself because he was able to track the heading of the email >that >said the server won't let through certain MIME attachments as David Cassell >has pointed this out in his response on this. Hopefully, they will resolve >this 'issue' soon. As soon as it gets resolved, I will post out the >results. > >Again, thank you very much for your time and efforts everyone on this!

Woo-hoo! Another lucky guess hits the target! :-)

Frida, it may take a while to get the problems resolved at the MTA, which in your case is Sun Netscape Mailserver. In the meantime, you can do a couple things.

[1] Send a URL to the Excel spreadsheet, instead of the spreadsheet itself. Then you can stick the URL in your message and have no attachments.

[2] Drop the HTML in the messge, so there is no chance that the mail server will decide to go to MIME just because it recognized some non-text. This does not appear to be happening to you when you send email without the attachment, so it may not be a problem. But just in case...

[3] If you don't find the 'send the URL instead' idea serviceable, you could consider sending the tables as text or HTML and inserting them in the email body itself, instead of as an attachment. That also ought to dodge around the MIME problem.

You know, MIME is *supposed* to be a standard. I don't understand why so many apps have so much trouble with it. I *really* don't understand why Sun has so much trouble with it. Sun MailFool - umm, I mean MailTool - or its MTA has had problems with multiple attachments for as long as I can remember. (Which is roughly back to the Pleistocene Era. :-)

HTH, David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/