Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Dec 2005 23:33:22 -0700
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Alan Churchill <SASL001@SAVIAN.NET>
Subject:      Re: Simple URL Filename Access Problem

David,

If string ripping and performance is a major concern, I would recommend Perl...I really would ;-]

C# is nice in that the .NET framework was built post-Java, post C++ maturity, post-XML becoming a standard, and post-Web Part1 maturity. Hence, it has a lot of great features built from the ground up with these technologies in mind. Most of the time, when you are working in these areas, it seems natural: thought actually seems to have gone into how to implement them.

It also makes some sense as opposed to...Perl which is like reading tea leaves.

C#'s future is amazing. If you want something to blow you away, check out the god of programming languages (Anders Hejlsberg) discussing LINQ:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/future/linq/

You'll never see SQL the same again...

Alan

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David L Cassell Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 11:08 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Simple URL Filename Access Problem

SASL001@SAVIAN.NET replied: >I like David's suggestion of using something other than SAS for the URI >read >but I would suggest looking at C# instead of Perl. There is a method in C# >called GetHTMLFromURL which would more than suffice. The web side of C# is >very robust so you should be able to handle anything you encounter. > >If you are on Unix, there should be support in Mono for this method.

Somehow I knew you would vote for C# . Just as you knew I would say 'Perl'. :-) :-)

C# is another good choice, as are fun languages like Ruby and Python. I only chose Perl here because I was envisioning trying to write the code as a one-liner in a pipe into the data step. I'm lazy. :-)

No, I also chose Perl because I know more about the HTTP and internet modules for Perl than for some other languages. And Perl is more deeply disturbing. Like me. :-)

David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/