Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2005, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:33:39 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Unable to use Windows shortcuts to access SAS datasets
Comments: To: "Droogendyk, Harry" <harry.droogendyk@RBC.COM>

Both LNK and URL extensions are hidden by Windows regardless if you have settings to show extensions of known file types. The icons for files with the extensions will have arrows on them.

LNK files are executable - so their contents aren't readable, but URL files simply contain a URL - for example: [InternetShortcut] URL=http://support.sas.com/onlinedoc/913/docMainpage.jsp

It's possible to remove the LNK or URL association in the registry, and then the filename extensions will appear but then your links won't work.

hth

Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Droogendyk, Harry Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 10:46 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Unable to use Windows shortcuts to access SAS datasets

Listers:

There is an explanation.

The short-cut entry in c:\temp that APPEARS ( when viewed in Windows Explorer ) to be called shortcut.sas7bdat may be seen to be actually called shortcut.sas7bdat.lnk when a directory listing is surfaced in DOS.

C:\TEMP>dir short* Volume in drive C is COE Volume Serial Number is 3C94-8031

Directory of C:\TEMP

2005/12/29 02:26 PM 472 Shortcut.sas7bdat.lnk 1 File(s) 472 bytes

When I right click and choose SASView from the list, Windows must be passing shortcut.sas7bdat to the viewer so it recognizes it as a SAS dataset.

Harry _____________________________________________ From: Droogendyk, Harry Sent: 2005, December, 29 2:39 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Unable to use Windows shortcuts to access SAS datasets

Listers:

Unix symbolic links ( ie. created via ln command ) to SAS datasets can be read in SAS programs as if they were the actual SAS dataset.

However, Windows shortcuts to a SAS dataset cannot be read in a SAS program, nor do they show up in the SAS explorer when the libname is examined though the short-cut --can-- be viewed as a SAS dataset with SAS Viewer. The inability to read the shortcut as a SAS dataset is rather short-sighted / limiting. In our environment, we typically have a devl / test / prod heirarchy and it's often helpful to "point" to production datasets without actually copying them into the other environments for testing.

Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

/* Execute libname / datastep, then create shortcut --before-- running PRINT */

libname temp 'c:\temp'; data temp.test; a = 1; run;

/* Create shortcut of test.sas7bdat in Windows Explorer rename to 'shortcut.sas7bdat' */

proc print data=temp.shortcut; run;

85 proc print data=temp.shortcut; ERROR: File TEMP.SHORTCUT.DATA does not exist. 86 run; _______________________________________________________________________

This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier électronique ou par un autre moyen.