Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 1)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Fri, 6 Jan 2006 22:33:15 -0500
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Howard Schreier <hs AT dc-sug DOT org>" <nospam@HOWLES.COM>
Subject:   Re: SAS posts in UGA but not in Google
Comments:   To: excel_hari@YAHOO.COM

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 00:48:21 -0800, Hari <excel_hari@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>Hi, > >I got a "rude shock" today. > >I had posted a topic in which I was struggling and got a response which >was posted in >http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0512E&L=sas-l&P=R8114 but the >same response has not been carried in Google link >http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.soft- sys.sas/browse_frm/thread/07df2dde44529bfe/8bd03ad14f46f605? lnk=arm&hl=en#8bd03ad14f46f605 > >I cant understand as to why this is happening. Does it mean I should be >using UGA route for reading/posting rather than Google way?

As others have indicated, the connection between the two facilities does indeed appear to be semi-broken, especially in the direction which transfers posts from UGA to Google.

But it's not really UGA and Google; it's LISTSERV and Usenet.

One of the things which Google Groups does is serve as a super newsreader with a Web front end.

UGA is just one of 4 peer LISTSERV sites carrying SAS-L; the others are Marist University, Virginia Tech, and the Medical University of Vienna. That's the theory, at least. In fact, UGA serves the vast majority of subscribers, and it appears to be the only one of the 4 maintaining current archives (Marist has archives back to SAS-L Day 1, but none for the last year or so). Also, I believe UGA operates the gateway to comp.soft-sys.sas on Usenet. Years ago peer servers were important for bandwidth conservation etc., but today it really is UGA that matters for SAS-L.

The LISTSERV facility at UGA supports a lot of lists other than SAS-L. Joe K. is the "owner" of SAS-L at UGA, and in that role he deals with SAS-L configuration, trouble-shooting, and policy enforcement. But individual list owners typically do not deal with configuration of LISTSERV at the site level (which would affect all lists hosted at that site). Also, LISTSERV is commercial off-the-shelf software, so it would be extremely unusual for a list owner to be involved in tweaking its functionality.

> >I have read a SUGI paper which mentioned about accessing messages >through these 2 diferent methods but it DIDNT mention (or rather warn) >anything like one medium is better than another or UGA keeps some >messages to itself and doesnt pass it on to Google etc. > >I thought Google was a better way to read/post as it used to combine >posts on the same topic together and one could follow the flow. > >Also I cant understand as to why the UGA web-site has 2 different links >http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0512E&L=sas-l&D=0&F=P&P=13712&F= >and http://listserv.uga.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0512E&L=sas-l&P=R8114 >which have the same content?

These URLs do not point to static pages. Rather they pass back queries which tell LISTSERV to pull posts out of its periodic "notebook" files (that is, archives) and drop them into HTML templates. It's plausible for different queries to return the same page. If you were to relate exactly how you navigated to the 2 presentations, things might become more obvious.