Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 25 Jan 2006 08:49:28 -0800
Sender:   "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:   "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV>
Subject:   Re: Filename URL and Cookies
Comments:   To: David L Cassell <davidlcassell@MSN.COM>

David -

I committed a shibboleth! What a schmendrick! Obviously I am only a S.A.S. programmer and have no knowledge of Perl.

Only 2999 replies to go! :-)

[Wikipedia] Perl was originally named "Pearl", after "the pearl of great price" of Matthew 13:46. Larry Wall wanted to give the language a short name with positive connotations; he claims that he looked at (and rejected) every three- and four-letter word in the dictionary. He also considered naming it after his wife Gloria. Wall discovered before the language's official release that there was already a programming language named PEARL and changed the spelling of the name.

The name is normally capitalized (Perl) when referring to the language and uncapitalized (perl) when referring to the interpreter program itself since Unix-like filesystems are case sensitive. Before the release of the first edition of Programming Perl it was common to refer to the language as perl; Randal L. Schwartz, however, forced the uppercase language name in the book to make the name stand out better when typeset. The case distinction was subsequently adopted by the community.

It is not appropriate to write "PERL", as it is not an acronym. The spelling of PERL in all caps is therefore used as a shibboleth for detecting community outsiders. However, several backronyms have been suggested, including the humorous Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister. The more serious Practical Extraction and Report Language has prevailed in many of today's manuals, including the official Perl man page. It is also consistent with the old name "Pearl": Practical Extraction And Report Language.

Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David L Cassell Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2006 11:20 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: Filename URL and Cookies

pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV wrote back: >Reading past posts I see the honorable David L. Cassell recommends PERL as >is usual, and also that there's a cool free app out there called cURL that >can be used with a filename pipe. Otherwise SAS filename URL doesn't >handle cookies. > >See >http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.sas/search?group=comp.soft -sys.sas&q=curl+pipe

You might be able to use the SOCKET engine and fake your own HTTP to get around this, but that is likely to be even ickier than the above suggestions.

Oh, and the language is Perl. Just as we don't spell a certain 4GL "Sas", the language of Larry Wall is "Perl". Which stands for "Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister". If you don't believe me, just look in "Programming Perl." :-)

>Btw - if I reply to myself 3000 more times I'll have more posts than David >and Toby combined!

Nah, just take the Bill Viergever approach. Top-post to every thread and just add "I agree" or "Ditto!" or "<vbseg>". :-) :-) :-)

(Now I'll have to watch out for Bill! :-)

David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/