Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:08:13 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Choate, Paul@DDS" <pchoate@DDS.CA.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Clause vs. Statement
Comments: To: evilpettingzoo97@AOL.COM

Ken - Shooting from the hip....an analogy:

Clauses are to SQL what statements are to a datastep.

I've always thought of it as clauses are the equivalent of statements in SQL because Proc SQL doesn't permit data step statements. The datastep predates Proc SQL in SAS by over a decade, when SQL was developed they needed a way to use statement functionality in SQL.

Hope that doesn't miss the target by too far...

Paul Choate DDS Data Extraction (916) 654-2160

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Ken Borowiak Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:45 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Clause vs. Statement

Dear SAS-L,

I have observed that in the SAS programming community that people sometimes use the terms 'clause' and 'statement' interchangeably. My gut-feeling is that this is more of an issue of semantics and that there is distinction between the two. Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a reputable resource distinguishing the two, in general (and yes, I did search the archives, but to no avail). A recent paper at WUSS makes an argument that the WHERE of the DATA step and PROC SQL are different.

http://www.wuss.org/proceedings05/WUSS%202005%20Proceedings/pdf_files/da t a_warehousing_and_database_management/dwdb_where_the_statement.pdf

If 'clause' and 'statement' are indeed different, what are the characteristics distinguishing the two?

Kind Regards, Ken Borowiak