Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2006, week 5)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 31 Jan 2006 09:52:47 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Richard A. DeVenezia" <rdevenezia@WILDBLUE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Random access with FOPEN(), FREAD(), FPOS() and FGET()
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Friar Broccoli wrote: > Hi Mr DeVenezia; > > Thank you for taking the time to provide this alterate method for > reading offset > directed file structures. Unfortunately I already knew of this method > for solving this > problem. I presented my code as an example of a problem that could be > solved > with FGet etc.

Variety is a spice unto itself... but some spices are decidedly untasteful.

Note how the record-length and record-type are specified in the FOPEN to allow you to read past the end of file. ----------------------------- filename FOO "%sysfunc(pathname(WORK))/foo.txt";

data _null_; file FOO recfm=N; do i = 1 to 26; S = repeat (byte(64+i),6); put S $CHAR7. @; end; run;

data _null_; length buffer $40;

fid = fopen ('FOO','I',40,'B'); put fid=;

do until (rcread ne 0); rcread = fread (fid); rcget = fget(fid,buffer,40); put rcread= rcget= buffer=; end;

fid = fclose(fid); put fid=; run; -----------------------------

Have fun maintaining your tangled skein.

Richard A. DeVenezia http://www.devenezia.com/