Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:01:36 +0000
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         S Crawford <sgthomson99@hotmail.com>
Subject:      Odds ratio question

Hi, everyone.

I'm having problems with an odds ratio from a logistic regression. We are trying to predict a binary outcome (yes or no) based on one continuous variable (variable X). We get a significant overall regression. The B coefficient for this variable was -.144, and Exp(B) from the SPSS printout for variable X was .866.

If we want to find out the change in odds for every 10 point increase in variable X, do we just take: .866 and raise it to the 10th power?

That would be .23 rounding off - so does that mean a 23% decrease in odds of an abnormal outcome for every 10 point increase in variable X?

Many thanks for the help.

Susan

_________________________________________________________________ Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound e-mail and attachments. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.