Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:09:54 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Laurel A Copeland <copelandl@UTHSCSA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Need good book on merging in SAS
Comments: To: machellewilchesky@GMAIL.COM

Regarding Machelle's comment "I'm of the belief that anything Merge can do, SQL can do better...", I would caution that, when you are paying for the CPU time, this is not always true. The trade-offs between time and space in certain environments can mean that a DATA step on indexed/sorted (important qualification) datasets is much cheaper than equivalent PROC SQL. In some jobs, this can translate into the "better" option. -Laurel Copeland, Dept Veterans Affairs