Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 2006, week 4)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:20:45 -0500
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Michael Raithel <michaelraithel@WESTAT.COM>
Subject:      The Complete Guide to SAS Indexes - Book Giveaway

Dear SAS-L-ers,

Yippee! My new book, The Complete Guide to SAS Indexes, has finally been shipped from the printers, so it is officially "published":

http://www.sas.com/apps/pubscat/bookdetails.jsp?catid=1&pc=60409

Yesterday, I received my "Author's copies" and I am all smiles! Really!

After giving one book to each of my sons, sending one to my Dad, giving one to my boss, and putting one on my desk, I am left with three extra copies. So, I have a choice to make: I could let them gather dust on my bookshelf; I could hawk them on a street-corner in nearby Washington, DC; or I could give them away to interested, deserving, SAS-loving colleagues... like, perhaps Y-O-U; my fellow SAS-L-ers.

That last choice is exactly what I intend to do. I am going to hold a drawing to give away the remaining three Author's copies of my book. If you win, then I will mail a copy of my new book to you, no matter where you are domiciled on this big, wide, wondrous, blue-green orb that we call Planet Earth.

If you are not interested in participating in this drawing, then you should probably send this message to email Valhalla, because the rest of it describes how to participate in the drawing. If you are interested, please read the rest of the message carefully.

What the book is About: The previous web link (and the title, itself) should give you a pretty good idea of what the book is about. If not, here is more explanatory text concerning the book:

http://support.sas.com/publishing/bbu/authorline/2006/1_06/1_06a.html

Please note that this is not a "mainframe SAS book." It was written to discuss the why's and where fore's of SAS Indexes on _ALL_ of the platforms that you can run SAS on.

How to Participate Send one email, with the specific Subject:

Index Book Drawing

... with this simple text in the body of the message:

"I would like to participate in the drawing for a copy of The Complete Guide to SAS Indexes"

... and, in the body of the message include your first and last name...

... to my home email address: maraithel@erols.com.

Send your one email any time between now and midnight (24:00) Eastern Standard Time (USA) on Saturday, March 4th.

Emails received after the aforementioned date/time will be discarded.

Emails sent to my Westat address will be discarded.

If you send more than one email, all of them will be discarded.

If you send Emails to my Westat address and to my home address, all of them will be discarded.

If your message is missing either the afore-mentioned Subject, text, or first and last names, it will be discarded.

If you are not a registered SAS-L-er (e.g. you heard about this from a co-worker, a spouse, a significant other, a literary critic, or from the grapevine but do not participate in SAS-L) as of yesterday, your message will be discarded.

How the Drawing Will Work: I will wake up completely rested and refreshed on Sunday, March 5th, wondering how many emails came in during the night, before midnight struck.

I will print off each and every email that I received during the past week. I will fold the emails into eights, and put them into a hat (yes, a real hat). I will shake up the hat and withdraw three emails from it. Those three will be the potential winners of the books that I plan to give away.

I will check "the list" and verify that the three persons were valid SAS-L subscribers as of the date I posted this message to the 'L. If any of them are not, I will discard the email and draw another one from the bloated hat. I will repeat this step as needed.

I will then send a "congratulations; you won" type of message to all three of the people whose names were drawn. I will ask them for the address that they would like a copy of my new book mailed to.

If I do not hear back from a potential winner within 72 hours, I will select a new name from the hat. (Which, means that I cannot wear that darn hat for, at most, three days). Then, I will attempt to get a mailing address from the new person that was selected. (Note that an "Out of Office" reply does not count as me "hearing back" from you).

I will mail a copy of The Complete Guide to SAS Indexes to each of the persons who was selected and who provided me with a mailing address.

I will delete all of the emails from Outlook on my home computer, throw away the folded-up copies, and reclaim use of the hat.

I will post the names of the lucky winners on SAS-L.

Please Do Not Participate: ...if you are one of my wonderful reviewers and are already getting a free copy of the book.

...if you are not a registered SAS-L-er.

...if for some reason, you cannot send me your mailing address should you become one of the lucky winners.

...if you are a sore loser.

...if you are a bad winner and are going to make this more work for me than it is worth.

...if you are an alien. Only beings born on Earth may participate.

Okay SAS-L-ers, I am looking forward to conducting this drawing, and sending my three remaining Author's copies to deserving Listserv colleagues. And, as always, I'll continue to read all of the various interesting questions and answers that Y-O-U post on the 'L.

Best of luck to one and all who participate in this drawing!

Of course, all of these opinions, actions, book drawings and insights are my own, and do not reflect, nor are endorsed by those of my organization or my associates. All SAS code and/or methodologies specified in this posting are for illustrative purposes only and no warranty is stated or implied as to their accuracy or applicability. People deciding to use information in this posting do so at their own risk.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Michael A. Raithel "The man who wrote the book on performance" E-mail: MichaelRaithel@westat.com