Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:19:28 -0600
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Robin High <robinh@UNLSERVE.UNL.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Sample-size determination for inequality of two proportions
Comments: To: Duck-Hye Yang <dyang@CHAPINHALL.ORG>

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Duck-Hye Yang wrote:

> Hello, > I am looking for a way to do sample-size determination for a test of > significance between two proportions. > Proc power does not appear to provide a tool for a significance test > for two proportions. >

Hi Duckhye,

PROC POWER has at least two ways to invoke the TWOSAMPLEFREQ statement:

PROC POWER; TWOSAMPLEFREQ TEST = LRchi /* options include Pchi LRchi fisher */ SIDES = 2 ALPHA = .05 REFPROPORTION = .4 PROPORTIONdiff =.15 NPERGROUP = 50 POWER = . ; RUN;

PROC POWER; TWOSAMPLEFREQ TEST = LRchi SIDES = 2 ALPHA = .05 GROUPPROPORTIONS = (.4 .55) NPERGROUP = 50 POWER = . ; RUN;

To compare the result of Power =0.325 from these two steps, note that according to Chapter 6 of Cohen's 1988 ed. of "Applied Power analysis"

h = 2*arcsin(sqrt(.55)) - 2*arcsin(sqrt(.4)) = .3015

looking at Table 6.3.5 on pg. 195 for n=50, under the column for h=.3, the power listed is "32" which seems to match the result SAS prints.

Robin High Univ. of Oregon