Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:34:54 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Pardee, Roy" <pardee.r@GHC.ORG>
Subject:      Re: standardizing addresses
Comments: To: Alan Churchill <SASL001@savian.net>

Same here--tho I've only ever looked at the web service capabilities of .net and ruby (and the latter only as a client of web services). But I imagine other languages/environments have some sort of credible offering in that realm.

FWIW--I did just a teeny bit of playing around w/this way back using vb.net, and came to the tentative conclusion that they are *not* offering a standard web service interface on this. You won't find a WSDL document for instance (or I didn't anyway). But it does respond to xml requests with xml responses--I think you've just got to XQuery (or whatever the xml query language is these days) the info out of the response your own self.

So given that you've got to get down into the xml muck, I wonder what it would take to have sas drive this thing? I am utterly ignorant of sas' xml capabilities, except that I'm vaguley aware there's an xml libname...

Cheers,

-Roy

-----Original Message----- From: Alan Churchill [mailto:SASL001@savian.net] Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 11:27 AM To: Pardee, Roy; SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: RE: standardizing addresses

Good to know.

.net does a better job with web services than anything else I have seen which is why Don Henderson and I used it for wrapping SAS\IntrNet.

SAS does not natively support web services (from what I know) so you need a wrapper technology.

Alan Churchill Savian "Bridging SAS and Microsoft Technologies" www.savian.net

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Pardee, Roy Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 12:14 PM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: standardizing addresses

One other thing to consider if your addresses are all in the US is the USPS' web tools, which give a sort-of web service API to their standardization code.

http://www.usps.com/webtools/address.htm

It may be challenging to get at that w/sas, but if you've got expertise on hand in other languages (vb, java, ruby) it might not be too hard to get together.

HTH,

-Roy

-----Original Message----- From: SAS(r) Discussion [mailto:SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of David L Cassell Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 10:26 AM To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: standardizing addresses

clinton.rickards@GE.COM wrote: >I'm looking for software, preferrably in the form of SAS code/macros, >that will standardize addresses. By standardize I mean recoding the >addresses to handle such things as: > road = rd > street = st > avenue = ave = av > apartment/suite numbers > city names > state names > parts of addresses being in different variables (e.g. sometimes >apartment is in line 1, sometimes in line 2) > >I figure that it would be easier to buy rather than build such >functionality. If any one can point me toward such software I'd >appreciate it.

Monal pointed you at DataFlux, which SAS sells. It's expensive. As are *all* the programs which do data cleaning and homogenization like this. That's because there are only intensely-complex homegrown programs which companies keep proprietary, or else really expensive general programs which sell for amounts which make SAS look cheap.

You may be able to patch together code which does the standardization that you want, without spending $60K. But that standardization may not do all the things that you really want to be able to do with the data.

David -- David L. Cassell mathematical statistician Design Pathways 3115 NW Norwood Pl. Corvallis OR 97330

_________________________________________________________________ Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/