Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2006, week 3)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Mar 2006 08:02:00 -0800
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Jerry <greenmt@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: a unix script to send email notification when a sas batch job
              fails?
Comments: To: sas-l@uga.edu

Hi ,

I just wanted to update this thread with what I found. It turns out a script is not needed to archieve what I want.

The modified solution (originally contributed by Roger Leigh @ comp.unix.programmer) is:

sas freq.sas || echo "exit code $?" | mail -s "this sas code failed" me@somewhere &

The tricky part (to me) is the use of "||", see below for more.

Richard, I definited agree with you that what I wanted is not robust at all. But it's much better than frequently runing "jobs" to see if it dies, or search logs for "ERRORS" or "WARNINGS" next morning.

You mentioned that "(using one of the log parsers {found mentioned in several conference papers})". I used "log parser" as keyword to search SUGI papers, but didn't find anything useful. Could you please point me to such "conference papers"? Thank you!.

Thanks Logan Shaw @ comp.unix.programmer, he has a clear and detailed explanation about the use of the "||" conditional shell operator. Below is what I quoted from his post:

Briefly, the "||" operator is a lazy "or", so it will only run the second command if the first fails. Since "true" is a command that always succeeds (well, always tries to succeed...) and "false" is a command that always fails, you can easily try this out on the command line. Try the following two commands:

true || date

false || date

You should see that the first one doesn't print the date and the second one does. That's because "true" succeeds; therefore, "date" isn't run. And the opposite happens with "false". You can use a similar construct to get a notification if your command fails:

sas freq.sas || date

That would print the date if the "sas" command fails. ****************************