Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Apr 2006 06:53:37 -0500
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Beadle, ViAnn" <viann@spss.com>
Subject:      Re: effects of road diversions on shops
Comments: To: Omar Farook <omarfdawood@yahoo.com>

What you should do is just report what you said below and provide summary descriptive statistics such as xx% of shop owners report that they have been negatively affected. It might also be useful to merge in information about the timing and extent of road diversions. If every shop in the study has been subject to road diversions, you really can't do much more analysis. I personally would want to also take a closer look at the respondents who reported no negative effect to better understand what the effect is.

From: SPSSX(r) Discussion on behalf of Omar Farook Sent: Wed 4/19/2006 12:03 AM To: SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: effects of road diversions on shops

Dear Mr. Art, The sales and the number of customers could not increased because all the shops in the area are affected due to, non-availability of cars parking and some of internal roads are semi-closed. Now should I ignore the data or there is a way to deal with the four variables? Thanks. Omar.

Art Kendall <Art@DrKendall.org> wrote: It is biased because, if I understood your response format, the questioning did not allow for the possibility that sales or number of customers could have increased for some shops.

I don't know the wording and the language the study was done in. In English "affected" does not mean negatively affected. Even if the researcher could not get the number of customers, in comparing two points in time respondents could have been asked a questions that spanned more of the possible range of outcomes, something like :many more, some more, a few more, about the same, a few less, some less, many less.

The shop owners seemingly were asked the percentage decrease, not the relative percentage one way or the other.

Art Art@DrKendall.org Social Research Consultants