Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:45:54 -0400
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         "Fehd, Ronald J" <rjf2@CDC.GOV>
Subject:      Re: Efficiency of Proc sort with out =

> From: Sarah Gollin > Just trying to settle an argument. My colleague believes > that it is more

> efficient

that depends on your definition of 'efficient'

> to use an out = statement on a proc sort as opposed to > overwriting the original dataset. I have googled this but > have been unable > to come up with a definite answer. Can you help?

generally it is Highly Recommended to -always- use an out= for proc Sort, most especially when you are reading from a two-level data set name

for a one-level name: i.e. work.DataX then it is not definite.

Using out= leaves your data= data set in its original order and, of course, then you have a/your copy in the order of the by variables.

you might want to subset as you sort: PROC Sort data = Lib.X(keep = ... where = (...)) out = Y; by ...;

which would be another reason that this topic would discussed under efficiency.

Ron Fehd the optimization or macro maven CDC Atlanta GA USA RJF2 at cdc dot gov