Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2006, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Apr 2006 13:52:56 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         toby dunn <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: transfer character variable to numeric variable( date)
Comments: To: pharmalogic.llc@GMAIL.COM

Glad you brought this up its way over due as a topic. and before we get started just remember I am not after you.

>>But regarding you other points, some clients require marcos for >>everything, others require as few >>as possbile. I even had one that required a macro with proc sql code to >>put number 1 into a macro var.

Yes I have been there and I refuse to propogate stupid managers ideas. I feel they are either inept and/or lazy at their job. You and others may feel differently but hey we are all entitled to our own opinions.

>>The overall idea is consistency in those situations, so that everything is >>done the same way, and anything possible is done (right), and in that way >>we >>can eventually be eliminated (sure).

Done right???? Well maybe done wrongly but achieving a correct result.

Okay perhaps its time for me to ge on my little soap box. There are only a very small set of circumstanses where I can imagine an all macro shop being of value. However, one would have to hire a team of macro experts and they would have to awsome at macro syntax and design. As well as total eliminate global macro variables from their programs (dispite what others would say this can be done). Since I have only seen a handful of programmers who are really good at design I doubt this is a feasable option.

And I have worked in as many shops as I have fields. One of which used macro almost exclusively. There whole set up was shotty and held together by ducktape and chewing gum. The funniest thing was my exwife bought me a big pack of chewing gum and a few rolls of duck tape one day to put on my computer at work as a joke. But in all honesty their all macro concept sucked. But they kept on using them because that was how things were done for consistency and correctness. After we had our parting of ways, I went to work for their largest client. Who was looking to replace them, asap, because they couldnt produce correct results fast enough. Seems that the all macro idea failed. I have heard a few other places that tried the same thing and they eventually failed with this approach and I know many shops out there still try this concept. I rarely suffer these managers and programmers that due this and I refuse to work with or for them for very long. I am doing my Don Quixote impression tring to get people to understand macros, macro design, and how to use them properly. Perhaps I am just tilting at the ye o'l %macro and %mend statements but its a fight I can atleast live with. I do practice what I preach, after I finish with the suite of programs I am revamping now I will rework an all macro sas/internet suite of programs. As I was testing the logic of the code it was amazing that I used only a handful of macro variables and 1/10th SAS code (no macros just a few macro vars) and could achieve the same results. The whole thing looked, read, worked better and was so easy to change and fix that it would make one cry.

O well its more than time for this rant to be over and thank you for indulging me.

Toby Dunn