Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 May 2006 12:30:33 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         DeeAnne Meliopoulos <deeanne.mel@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Yard Birds 4-6-06

Today I was very excited to find a singing male AMERICAN REDSTART flitting around through the trees in my yard. It's a yard first and also the first adult male Redstart I've seen this season.

There is also a small flock (about 20-30 birds) of CEDAR WAXWINGS lingering in my yard; they seem to be enticed by the wild cherry tree.

I was surprised to see a GRAY CATBIRD- I hadn't been hearing any meows but he launched into song after I saw him.

And last but not least, I caught a snatch of thrush song coming from the woods behind the creek (though 'woods' and 'creek' are really grandiose terms in this case, the woods is only a small strip between my yard and the hideous condominiums behind it, and the creek is equally tiny and is fed by a nasty sewage pipe). At first I thought I was being fooled by the fluty note that is sometimes at the end of an American Robin's song, but I went closer and found myself listening to a HERMIT THRUSH! I've noticed one wintering in the yard for the past couple of years but I've never heard him singing before.

-DeeAnne Meliopoulos Atlanta, GA