Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 May 2006 12:58:48 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Ken Blankenship <kenhblankenship@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Vogel State Park/Brasstown 5/20-21

I also participated in the "Mountain Birder Invasion" over the weekend. Saturday I spent with kids running around the park (not much birding), but Sunday early morning I hit Brasstown and Blairsville. I had many similar spp. as others reported, and although I stopped at Kennedy Creek Rd. on Hwy 180 I didn't know about the Least Flycatcher being somewhere else so I missed it... Doh! Still had some cool birds:

Spotted Sandpiper 1, Vogel State Park (VSP) Canada Warbler 3, Brasstown Bald (BB) Veery 3, BB Winter Wren 2, BB Broad-winged Hawk 1, VSP; 1, BB Willow Flycatcher 3, Blairsville Ingles Acadian Flycatcher 1, VSP 12 warbler spp. Black-throated Blue Black-throated Green Canada Ovenbird Common Yellowthroat Yellow-throated American Redstart Chestnut-Sided Black-and-White Pine Worm-eating Hooded

There is a huge burn area that looks to be in its 2nd-3rd year of succession along Hwy 60 south of Woody Gap (on the uphill side of the road). I feel strongly (and have been informed) that it should be really good for Golden-winged Warblers. However, it is very rugged and hard to access. I tried stopping a few times to listen for them along the road but had no luck.

Ken Blankenship Marietta, GA (Cobb County)