Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main GABO-L pageJoin or leave GABO-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 May 2006 11:41:48 -0400
Sender:       Georgia Birders Online <GABO-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Karen Theodorou <KarenTheodorou@MSN.COM>
Subject:      unofficial AWBB 4/28 - Team Dendroica

Due to my busy work schedule in May, Deb Zaremba and I did our AWBB/Big Day last week, on Friday, April 28th. We started at 2 a.m. north of Atlanta and after hitting some of our usual spots (including Pine Log, KMT, Macon Central Park, Jekyll, St. Simons, the Altamaha, etc.), we totaled 159 species. We were doing really well until we hit Gould's inlet at low tide (with a new moon), resulting in most of the shorebirds being WAY out, mostly hunkered down and unidentifiable since it was also very windy and our scopes were shaking. Quite frustrating! Jekyll was also disappointing when the Gray Kingbird didn't show and all we really added was Painted Bunting after the hike out to south beach. We did better at some other spots on the coast and got some good birds including White Pelican, Sora, King Rail, Least Bittern, Wood Stork, Yellow-crowned Night-heron, Black-crowned Night-heron, Whimbrel, Pied-billed Grebe, Mississippi Kite, Bald Eagle, Common Nighthawk and more. Our funniest moment was about 10 p.m when we realized we lost Deb's Barn Owl tape and had to play a CD on my Jeep's CD player as we drove around Darien with the windows down and the sunroof open blasting Barn Owl calls.... no, it didn't work and we probably freaked out several Darien residents. We didn't beat our record, but had fun trying and look forward to next year. On the way home the next day, we found a White-crowned Sparrow in Monroe Co. which was pretty nice. Karen Theodorou Lawrenceville, GA