Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006)Back to main SPSSX-L pageJoin or leave SPSSX-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 May 2006 14:30:04 -0400
Sender:       "SPSSX(r) Discussion" <SPSSX-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         Richard Ristow <wrristow@mindspring.com>
Subject:      Re: Select cases before adding variables from another file
Comments: To: Bob Schacht <schacht@hawaii.edu>

At 05:02 PM 5/25/2006, Bob Schacht wrote:

>Suppose I select cases in my working file, and then do a "Merge >Files/Add variables." For the merge, will only selected cases be >examined, or will >the selection be ignored?

Menu entry "Merge Files/Add variables" generates a MATCH FILES command. If you include the working file in MATCH FILES, it'll be the working file as it exists when the MATCH FILES is run. All earlier transformations, including selection, will have been applied. I'm pretty sure that filtering will be ignored, though.

>I'm asking because in my working file, I've got active cases as well >as closed cases. I want to add variables from another file that >contains only closed cases, so I don't want SPSS to get confused >trying to match closed cases with active ones. So, if I select only >the closed cases, will the "add variables" menu affect only the >selected cases?

To make sure we both understand what you want: Your working file has some closed cases and some open ones. Another file has other information on some closed cases. And you want a working file with an entry for every closed case (but not the open ones) that occurs in either file. That working file will have information from whichever of the two files the case occurs in; from both, if it occurs in both.

By the way, you write,

>I don't want SPSS to get confused trying to match closed cases with >active ones.

If there's some case identifier that's unique over all cases, closed and open, SPSS wouldn't get confused. It would simply keep the open cases in the combined file. Presumably their entries would not have any information from the other file, since that file contains only closed cases.

You still probably want to do the selection, but it's because of what you want, not because of what SPSS needs.