Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (May 2006, week 2)Back to main SAS-L pageJoin or leave SAS-L (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 May 2006 19:41:56 +0000
Sender:       "SAS(r) Discussion" <SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
From:         toby dunn <tobydunn@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: UPCASE and unmatched parenthesis conundrum
Comments: To: datanull@GMAIL.COM

LOL it has nothing to do with you personally I just dont like that particular construct....

It violates the principle of simplicity, clarity, flexibiilty and extendability. O yeah also it means the problem wasnt properly identified.

In no particular order:

Flexibility because what if the requirements change and I need to now use both the masked and unmasked value of FOO. I then have to have two macro vars FOO and FOO2 one with the masked value and one with the unmasked value.

Extendability, well FOO was created in a data step with call symput so lets say we want to create 50 macro vars from some data set ( this seems like a more reasonable scenario when one uses call symput). To extend %let Foo = %bquote( &Foo ) ; we would have to implement another macro var with the number of macro vars created in the data step and use a %do-Loop. Seems like it is more trouble than it is worth.

Clarity in that it simply hides the quoting in another step which well doesnt need to be since we can use the same quoting function in the place in the code where we need teh quoting performed.

Simplicicty in that it adds more code to write, maintain and remember.

Toby Dunn

From: "data _null_;" <datanull@GMAIL.COM> Reply-To: "data _null_;" <datanull@GMAIL.COM> To: SAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU Subject: Re: UPCASE and unmatched parenthesis conundrum Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:16:38 -0400

I see, so you object to me using

%let foo = %bquote(&foo); . . . %upcase(&foo) . . .

in favor of your code

. . . %UPCASE( %bquote( &foo ) ) . .

Is this one of your macro design edicts?

On 5/11/06, toby dunn <tobydunn@hotmail.com> wrote: >Data _null_ , [SNIP]